RE and ESG
RE Capital is a privately owned, Pan-European property investment, asset and development management business, employing highly skilled teams in London, Lisbon and Geneva.
Since inception, we have invested in circa 30 real estate assets, across various sectors (including residential, offices, hotels, retail and industrial), and sustainably developed many of those assets, often exceeding statutory requirements.
As responsible investors and developers, ESG has become an integral part of our business and day-to-day activities. Although we recognize that our operations may have environmental, social and governance impacts, we seek to actively manage them to ensure all our developments foster vibrant communities that bring societal benefits and wellbeing, while minimizing any impacts on, and where possible enhancing, the environment that surrounds them.
The implementation of our ESG commitments is guided by our core values of integrity, transparency and determination. We believe that doing so will help us achieve optimal and sustainable financial results, that have the best interests of our co-investors and other stakeholders at heart.
Our co-investment approach demands a fully
encompassing end-to-end investment process.
- We use a network of trusted professionals during the pre-acquisition DD phase to review all environmental and social aspects.
- Material issues are considered as part of our decision making.
- We use the information gathered at DD stage to inform our investment strategy for each asset.
- Stringent review takes place of all environmental impacts to ensure that risks are mitigated and accounted for within the business plan.
- Wherever possible sustainability is incorporated into design. In doing so, we consider the full life-cycle of our schemes and the potential for each development to exceed ordinary statutory requirements.
- Where appropriate we strive to certify all new developments to a minimum rating of BREEAM Excellent, LEED Silver or equivalent.
- An RE Capital representative is appointed on each project in order to safeguard the companies ESG aspirations.
- We work hand in hand with our tenants and occupiers in order to ensure that existing assets are utilised in a sustainable way.
- Where possible, we identify cost-efficient measures that can enhance the environmental and wellbeing performance of our assets. Including potential water and energy saving improvements.
- We conduct tenant surveys to help us deliver impactful change to the way our assets perform environmentally and socially.
- We aim to benchmark the sustainability potential of our designs against our peers and market standards and look to improve wherever possible.
- We monitor environmental performance of our assets during & post construction. We use relevant KPIs and set challenging yet realistic targets for improvement.
- For our existing assets, we use our monitoring outputs to inform any improvement plans we may decide to implement.
Our people are our most valued asset and actively contribute to our success. We pride ourselves in having assembled a highly skilled workforce across three jurisdictions, namely; London, Lisbon & Geneva.
Being a responsible employer enables us to attract and retain the best talent. We are therefore committed to:
- Safeguarding the health, safety and wellbeing of all our employees. For this purpose, we have adopted a Health and Safety Policy, which is part of a fully implemented Health and Safety Management System.
- Promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace, which provides a stimulating work environment. We have zero tolerance to discrimination of any type.
- Offering equal opportunities for all our staff to reach their full potential and positively contribute to our success. We are committed to the continued professional development of our employees at all levels of our business.
We are also conscious that to deliver high quality and aesthetically pleasing buildings, we depend on best in class consultants, suppliers and contractors.
As a team, we have developed a network of partners that share our values. Notwithstanding this, we are fully determined to:
- Engage consultants and contractors that meet our ethical, quality and ESG standards. To this end, we have developed a sustainable procurement and supplier charter that sets out our expectations and that is applicable to all of our third party suppliers and contractors.
- Offer fair terms of engagement and payment.
SECTOR: Residential, Hotel, Office
SIZE: 61,000 sq ft / 5,667 sq m
ACQUIRED: November 2017
We see the occupiers of our properties, as well as the communities in which they are embedded, as the long-term beneficiaries of our activities.
We are committed to engaging with local communities in a pro-active and meaningful way:
- Our aim is to produce buildings that protect and enhance the health and wellbeing of the occupants. With this in mind, we endeavor to incorporate the WELL (or equivalent standard) where relevant and feasible.
- We engage with local communities to ensure that all RE Capital developments enhance and complement the local surroundings. Local stakeholder consultation is key to the design process.
- We strive for community involvement at every stage of the project. During construction stage we look to resource our projects locally, wherever possible, thus also reducing the carbon footprint associated with procurement.
We design our buildings to stand the test of time. Its our responsibility to ensure that negative environmental impacts are minimized or eliminated at all stages of development. Opportunities must be taken to enhance the sustainability credentials of the anything we create.
RE Capital has implemented an ISO 14001 certified Environmental Management System, which provides a framework for the management of environmental impacts within our developments and drives continual improvement in our sustainable development thinking.
Each development is unique and requires individual assessment in order to ascertain opportunities to reduce negative impacts on the environment.
- Incorporate energy efficiency features into our projects, including innovative technologies.
- Consider carbon life-cycle and set appropriate CO2 reduction targets.
- Seek to incorporate renewable technologies into developments wherever possible.
- Monitor energy consumption, promoting improvements and green energy in our assets.
- Promote the use of sustainable materials with lower embodied carbon.
- Select materials which can be reused or recycled once the asset comes to the end of its intended life.
- Consider water saving and recycling opportunities for all our new developments.
- Monitor water consumption and seek to improve performance at all our existing assets, including the promotion of responsible water consumption by users.
- Maximise material re-use onsite as part of the construction process.
- Set targets for waste reduction and diversion from landfill, which (where possible) exceed regulatory requirements.
- Provide adequate facilities to promote recycling during asset operation.
- Seek to protect or, where not possible, adequately compensate for any biodiversity loss on site, so there is no overall negative impact on biodiversity from our developments.
- Endeavour to set and achieve biodiversity net gain.
- Prevent any pollution being caused during our construction or management operations.
- Avoid or reduce pollutants where possible.
Investors trust RE Capital as we deliver projects ethically and with full transparency. In doing so we have developed a stringent corporate governance structure that includes board oversight on all polices such as:
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption
- Anti-money laundering
- Risk Management
- Health & Safety
- Data Protection
- Environmental Sustainability Governance